Sunday, June 16, 2013

Special Edition: To Our Dads, Happy Father's Day!

From Amy to My Dad:

My dad has always been an inspiration to me. He was the one who showed me the world of aviation and has shared his love and passion for it with me. Every since I was a little girl, family vacations would be flying over the Rocky Mountains to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Arizona and he would let me sit in the co-pilot seat. Even though I was not able to see over the dashboard, the joy and passion that arose with that experience only helped peruse my dream of where I am today.

Out of my dad's four daughters, I think he would conclude (and all my sisters would agree) that I was the closest thing my dad got to a son. Quality time in the Northwoods of Wisconsin deer hunting over Thanksgiving is our special time spent together. The fresh air, the outdoors, and crunching around in the woods could put a smile on both of our faces.  Not only hunting but fishing, boating, doing yard work, or walking the halls in Home Depot or Menard's was quality father daughter time.

EAA Oshkosh has turned into a yearly summer family trip. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on the flight line just my dad and I watching the Sean D. Tucker do his acrobatic stunts, or the Aeroshell team in formation flight. The excitement of aviation has only grown the drive and passion within me.

My hard work, dedication, and drive has definitely been developed from my dad. I wouldn't of become a Commercial pilot, or  Certified Flight Instructor without the strong foundation that my dad developed in me from the beginning of my flying days. The hours we spent flying over Lake Minocqua practicing steep turns or having landing practice only benefited my pilotage skills. No matter what my dad was up to, I could always count on him to answer his phone and answer the silliest questions that I have about flying.

Even though I am in Pasco, Washington getting ready to race and are not able to spend the day with my dad, I hope to make him proud of all of our hard work. I would not of been where I am today and haven't had the passion that I do without my dad! I can not wait to see you at the finish line with a BIG TROPHY in our hands!
Happy Fathers Day, Dad!! Love, Amy


From Katrina to My Dad:

For me my introduction to aviation was also from my dad.  He started learning to fly when I was around nine and getting to ride along with him after he got his license was so much fun.  I had a blast getting to help control the airplane.  Because of him, I too wanted to learn how to fly.  This prompted me to join the Civil Air Patrol and learn as much as possible about aviation before I started my lessons.

During this time my dad also started building an experimental aircraft in our garage.  I remember being his helper in so many projects, starting with the very first task of inventorying the parts.  My dad would always take the time to explain what things were and how they worked so that I could learn as much as possible. 

When I finally started my flying lessons I was able to go home and study with him to learn as much as possible since he had already completed his private pilot certificate.  When we got ready to do our first fly-in trip to Oshkosh AirVenture he included me in all the planning even though I hadn't finished my certificate yet. While the weather didn't allow us to fly that year, I still learned so much from him about the planning necessary for the trip.
When I decided to come up to UND and be a Flight Education major, my dad was very supportive of me and would help me keep motivated to get done and do my best.  Now that I am a CFI/CFII my dad calls me to ask questions and get my opinion on different flight topics.  I feel so honored that my dad requests and values my answers.  The student has become the teacher in some areas, but I always know that I can call my dad with any question and we can talk about aviation and research or learn things together. 

Some of my best aviation adventures and experiences happened with my dad and I couldn't be prouder of him and I know he's proud of me.  Now I am lucky that I get to spend Father's Day with my dad, as my parents flew up to wish us off, but I still want to say Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment